Thursday, March 10, 2011

Homemade Utility Sinks and Cloth Diapers....hold your laughter till the end!

Hi all!

So, I've been a busy daddy since the last time I posted a blog (I really had no idea parenting an infant was this much work)! A quick update on Nathan (shown above in his green Thirsties cover with matching pacifier), he's so much fun to be around lately. He just had his 2 month check-up yesterday and Doc says he's doing really well. Then they gave him his, not so great! But he'll get over the pain soon -- I hope! Although last night was pretty rough for the little guy.

I love how alert he's been lately, I think he's actually starting to recognize me. Raising him is going to be a lot of fun, then when I'm old he'll take care of me....the circle of life!

Why did I title this Homemade Utility Sinks and Cloth Diapers..........? Keep reading!

Project #1 - My Homemade Utility Sink

After 2 months of cleaning off cloth diapers, I've finally had enough of getting poopy back splash all over my clothing, the walls in the bathroom and who knows where else. So I went on a mission to find a solution. I had this great idea about inventing a brand new sprayer that I would call the Poo Poo Wand, but since i have no idea how to find all the right fittings, glue and whatever else you need to turn a PVC pipe into a spraying wand I decided to go a different route.
I went on Google and searched something like "reduce back splash with cloth diapers" and came across very little that was helpful. Then I saw something that looked like a 5 gallon bucket on top of a toilet and thought to myself "self, that looks like a good idea". The one online was very elaborate with hooks and a larger base and holes for sprayer hoses and whatnot. The only thing that really got my attention was the fact that they put a hole in the bottom of the bucket to drain into the toilet. So I decided to try to make something similar. These three pictures show you what I came up with.

Basically, I took the 5 gallon bucket, drilled a 1.5" hole in the bottom and bought a drain plug/stopper and put it in the bottom. Then I bought some clamps (as seen in the pictures) which ended up being free after a mail in rebate. I was going to use the clamps to hold the diaper to the side of the bucket, but that took too long. On top of that, the bucket did not sit on the toilet seat the right way so I decided to use the clamps to hold the bucket into position by clamping it to the toilet seat lid. It works perfectly now.

When washing diapers, I hold the diaper inside the bucket (about halfway down) and start spraying. This virtually eliminates all back splash onto me and it stays inside the bucket. I do caution spraying diaper covers, they seem to splash back a lot probably has something to do with the waterproof "plastic" lining.

The best part is, with the hole at the bottom I'm able to use this as a utility sink in my apartment for when I need to clean off things like paint brushes, muddy boots, etc. It's perfect!

Please feel free to critique, offer suggestions or mock me by commenting on this post!

Project #2 - My first (and maybe last) attempt at a cloth diaper

In my last blog, I talked about attempting to make my first fleece diaper. Well, I tried. It was hard to find a pattern and when I finally did I was excited. Lindsey went out and bought some camouflage fleece fabric and I bought some velcro and elastic. Once we had everything, I started working on the diaper.

Since this was my first time ever following a pattern, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I cut out the patter, cut out the fabric and started sewing. Everything seemed fine until it came to the elastic. I have no idea how to sew elastic onto anything. I broke 3 needles trying to do it. I had a conversation with my mom and a sister-in-law and they told me what I was doing wrong....I was pulling the fabric too hard through the machine putting too much stress on the needle. Once I got through that I was done....take a look below:

I still have yet to put the velcro on the diaper because, as you can see, this diaper is huge. It's almost big enough to fit me! My mom went online and found the same pattern (I think) and ran into the same issue. So, if there is anyone out there with a good diaper pattern (this was a fitted diaper) can you please send it to me?
If I can get my hands on a better pattern, then I'll try again. Until then, I'm going to put my sewing skills on hold.
The good part about trying to make this diaper is, I have something i can give Nathan when he turns 16!!!!!!!

What about diapering?

I'm glad you asked. Lindsey and I got our hands on some used Bum Genius velcro All In Ones a few weeks ago. They are size small, so they should fit Nathan for a few more months (we hope). I LOVE THESE DIAPERS! They are so easy to use and wash. There is no removing or putting in inserts, spraying them down seems easier than the other diapers we have and they fit perfectly.
I think I change my mind every time I put up a post. For now, my favorite CD's are AIO's!!!!*

*my opinion is subject to change at any time without notice :)

That's all I have for now, as I leave please enjoy the cartoon I've placed at the bottom. Also, I love comments and feedback so please let me know what you like/don't like/want to see me do or do differently. I wont be offended by anything you say (most likely).

Thanks for reading!

- Dan the Diapering Dad!