Sunday, January 30, 2011

The (Almost) 1 Month Check-In

We're a month into our "Adventures in Cloth Diapering" and Thor is nowhere in site. Who needs a blond haired red hat and sleeveless shirt wearing dude anyway. He was the best part of the movie! Or maybe the best part was that diamond shaped building in downtown Chicago because every time I go to Chicago and see it, I think of that movie. In any case, I'm torn between that movie and "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead".

I know what you're thinking, you wanted to know how Cloth Diapering has been going, right? Fine, I guess we won't blog about the best movies from our childhood (this is it, by the way) and I'll get right into my experiences with several different brands and styles of CD (that's right, I've earned the right to use CD instead of typing out cloth diaper - booyah!)


Let's get right into it (if you just ignored the first two paragraphs, that is)! In a previous blog I said that I prefer using snaps over hook and loop (Velcro). I think I'm starting to change my mind a little. It can be pretty difficult to work with snaps when you've gotten up for the 4Th time and it's like 2:30 in the morning. I've found myself reaching for the Velcro more and more. My big problem with Velcro is the fact that poop always seems to get stuck in it. Then, when I go to spray the diapers out, I have to spray the Velcro, then the water ricochets off of the Velcro diaper and into my face, on my cloths and all over the floor. I'm pretty sure at the end of the night, I've got more poop on me that Nathan does with a full diaper. Either I am doing something wrong or......heck, I'm probably doing something wrong.

About cleaning the diapers, I did purchase the Bum Genius Diaper Sprayer. All I can say is that I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it because it makes fast work of spraying poop off of diapers and getting them ready for the wash. I hate it not only because of the reasons given in the above paragraph, but also because there is really no way to control the flow of the spray. I know what some of you are going to say, and it's not possible unless you have three hands. You see, the sprayer has a trigger on the spray head and there is a lever to control the flow of water where the unit connects to the toilet. So, if I wanted to start the water slow, let it build to a crescendo, then take it back down slowly I would just hold the trigger on the spray head and use my free hand to move the lever. My only problem with this is there is without a third hand, I cannot hold the diaper to spray the poop off of it. So if anyone out there is reading and can fix this problem, please do. I can't be the only one with this issue, can I?????

For now, I'll just keep bothering my neighbors every time I let go of the trigger and the water stops so fast that the pipes rattle. Sorry neighbors!!!!!!!

What are we having the most success with???

Disposables.........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... ha ......... ha .......... ha ............................ ha ............................. ha ........................................... ha .............................................. ha (just kidding)!

I really like using the POCKET and ALL-IN-ONE diapers right now because they are so very convenient. If I had one bad thing to say about them is that they are very bulky and I feel like they get dirty way to fast. Which is why I am also loving using DIAPER COVERS with prefold (yes, I finally bought real prefolds). As long as the mess isn't too big, you can get away with using the covers a few times before putting them in the diaper bag. I also really like using the prefolds because of how easy they are to clean, wash and most importantly fold and put away. If you compared the cleaning and putting away of a Pocket, an All-In-One and a prefold, the prefold wins hands down. I'd rather wash and fold 50 prefolds than 10 Pocket Diapers any day of the week.

We still have yet to use a few other diapers that we have acquired over the past few months, but as soon as we do I will be sure to let you know how that goes.

UPDATE ON MY FLATFOLD DILEMA:

My last blog had to do with my mistake when initially registering for prefolds and ending up getting a whole lot of flatfolds that just don't have the absorbency my little boy needs. I've come up with a solution that will require a sewing machine! Good thing I watched my mom sew for all of those years growing up.

Fuzzi Bunz diapers come with 2 microfiber inserts that can irritate a baby's bottom (they irritate the hell out of my hands so I could only imagine what it does to his you know what)! I've been wanting to use those extra inserts with the diaper covers to see if they would hold more that the prefolds we just got. I just couldn't figure out exactly how to cover them. I tried wrapping the insert in a prefold....way too big. Then I tried wrapping the insert in a flatfold....still too big because I had to fold it over 4 times. Then, I realize that I have a sewing machine (it's actually Lindsey's - I promise). So I have started to make pockets (socks) out of the flatfolds so that they cover the microfiber insert completely and do not take up too much space. Once I finish with the sewing, I'll start using them. Then I'll tell you how well it works....I promise!

That's enough for now, thanks to everyone who read all the way through this one! I'm going to watch a movie with Lindsey now....which means Nate will wake up any second.

Have an awesome Day!

Dan
The Diapering Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment