Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 12 - I have a confession to make

Alright, so a few months back when Lindsey and I were registering for the baby shower I came across some cloth diapers at Babies R Us and thought that I would save some money by registering for my prefolds there. That's not a bad idea, right? Don't answer that just yet.

You see, cloth diapers I actually registered for (and I registered for a lot of them) were the Gerber cloth diapers that they sell at Babies R Us. Here's a picture of what I wanted to register for:
Now, here is what I actually registered for:
See the difference? .........well????? Alright, before I tell you the difference let me first show you what a really great friend did with all of the cloth diapers from our registry after buying them:
Yup, that's all of the cloth diapers along with some Chicago Bears towels, pacifiers, footballs and a sock monkey in a Chicago Bears onesie. Thanks Kevin! This was an awesome gift so we left it put together for several weeks until we had the baby's room setup. Then we pulled the diaper cake apart to start the 6 pre-washes to get the diapers ready for business.

As we unwrapped the cake I was surprised to see the way the diapers looked, they didn't really look like the prefolds my mom used to use, but it's been more than 20 years since I've really seen a true prefold so I went ahead and finished washing them and put them away. I kept telling Lindsey that they remind me of cheesecloth?? hmmmm?

Alright, so now it's 12 days into having baby and about 9 days or so of cloth diapering. We've been using these diapers with Thirsties covers (by the way, I prefer the snaps and Lindsey prefers the Velcro) and the cloth diapers have been working really well except they don't seem to absorb as much pee as I thought. So I did some research and found out that I registered for the wrong cloth diapers.

So let's go back to the pictures above to take a closer look to see what the difference is. Still stumped? The difference is I registered for FLATFOLD diapers! The packaging is almost identical. AND, since I'm a dude and they gave me a scanner to register I got trigger happy and didn't take the time needed to make sure I scanned the right item. Me...the same guy that made fun of Lindsey for double and triple checking everything. An "I told you so" is definitely in order on this one.

Here's what a flatfold diaper is from my point of view: Flatfold diapers are just a very large flat piece of fabric. In order to fit them in Nate's diaper covers we have to tri-fold them, then fold them in half. And even then they don't have the absorbency that Nate needs.

So, with my tail between my legs I need to go back out and purchase some pre-folds. Sorry Kevin! This time, I'll make sure I buy actual pre-folds. So I don't make the same mistake twice, I'm going to open the packs of diapers at the store to make sure that they are what think they are.

Good, now that I have that off my chest and I have humbled myself quite a bit (I started getting a big head about everything I knew about cloth diapers) I can feel good about talking about cloth diapers, how they're working for us, and anything else that comes up.

Thanks for reading & Stay Tuned!

Dan - The Diapering Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment