Wednesday, August 11, 2010

20 Week Ultrasound Was Today - The Gender Debate is Over!



Today Lindsey and I had our 20 week ultrasound visit. As most women and not so many men (I may have been one of those men) know, this is the visit where you can find out the gender of your baby.

The decision to find out the gender has been a struggle for me as there are two schools of thought on this and both sides have very valid points. Having the personality I do, I am easily swayed one way or another depending on who I am talking to. For instance, my mother had 11 children and never found out the gender of any of us. I also know a family that was trying to get pregnant for years and they too decided not to know because they were finally able to get pregnant and didn't care what they were having.

There is also the other side of the debate where it is more convenient to know ahead of time for reasons like decorating, shopping, etc. Several of our friends have found out ahead of time and they said that they were able to be at ease about this as well, it's not something that kept them up at night wondering about. Obviously, if you are deciding on pink or blue for the wall, knowing the gender ahead of time would make that decision much easier.

I ultimately decided that I wanted to know the gender. I think it was in part because I wanted to be prepared but also because I realized that if I found out today or in 4 months, it was going to be a surprise either way. I'll tell you that finding out today has really put me in high gear to start getting things ready. I don't think this would have been the case if I didn't have that surprise.

If the picture above didn't give it away....we're having a boy! He'll be a linebacker for the Bears in 25 or so years! SURPRISE!!!!!!


Now that we know what we're having, is that going to make a difference in the type of diaper we chose? Since I'm not sure of the answer it is going to be something else that I will need to research. One problem is that most of my friends with baby's have cute little girls which, as we all know, don't share the same plumbing as boys do. And, if I am going to be testing out cloth diapers on their children is that going to make a huge difference? Someone with some expertise - PLEASE HELP?!
My guess is that there won't be a difference, but I have been wrong in the past.

Just as a side note, some of the topics I am currently wanting to cover in this blog are:

- Cloth Diaper Brands
- Cloth Diaper Styles
- Environmental Benefits
- Financial Benefits
- Usage / How To's / Reviews / Etc
- Men and Changing Diapers
- Men's Fashion When it Comes to Baby Stuff (diaper bags, strollers, etc)
- More to come....I promise.
FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND ADD ANYTHING ELSE YOU'D LIKE TO SEE!


That's it for now, I gotta get back to work.

LET'S GO BEARS!!!!

5 comments:

  1. congrats Dan! [and Lindsey!]
    I am so excited for the little Vallaro to come! you will figure out parenting, and I'm sure you both will be AMAZING at it! that little guy is incredibly blessed to have you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This store is actually in Downtown Naperville, http://comfybummy.com/, I've walked past it a couple of times. And why would you try it on your friends kids, just grab a cotton sheet and wrap your self in it..I know you've thought about it :)

    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Soon to be dad!
    I saw your post on Diaper Junction on Facebook and thought I'd pass along this link with the hopes that it will explain and help you understand how to use a pocket diaper.
    This is an awesome article on using Fuzzi Bunz specifically, but otherwise a really great informative article with a fantastic video. (I'm a visual learner-so loved the video)

    Diaper junction website has some great How-To articles and I'm now cloth diapering my 4 month old son and used (gasp) disposables on my 3 year old twins (but wish i had done cloth)..so I'd be more than happy to share my experiences with you on how i selected a cloth diaper and my experiences with disposables if it will help in anyway.
    I'm not a weird stalker, just thought I could offer to help if you'd like. Plus I think it is so awesome that a father is so proactive in his baby's life. My husband leaves it all up to me (but I secretly don't mind)
    Good Luck and congrats on the baby boy! Carrie Ann carrieann.huey@gmail.com

    As promised, the link:
    http://styleberryblog.com/2010/05/21/an-accidental-passion-cloth-diapering-for-the-modern-mom/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the comments and suggestions. I have SO much to blog about, I think this is going to be fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. saw your post on FB too...congrats on the boy! i'm due nov 3 with a boy myself and have decided to use cloth too. what i've learned just by reading around on the internet is not to buy one style/brand exclusively. what works for some do not work for others. I have purchased, so far, a few different brands and once i have the baby i can see what i like, if any at all, and continue on searching for the perfect diaper and what works for me. there are reviews here: http://diaperpin.com/diapers/diaperpages.asp maybe you can check that out. :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete