Thursday, August 12, 2010

What type of diaper to use???????

CAUTION - THERE IS AN ATTEMPT TO TRY AND EXPLAIN CLOTH DIAPERS IN THIS POST, PLEASE BE KIND IF I MIS-SPEAK.



Before meeting with our neighbor Ami a couple months ago and having a conversation with a friend Amanda a few months before that, I though that cloth diapers were those white rags that I would wash and wax my car with. As I've stated in the past, my mother used cloth diapers on us but I don't remember seeing my siblings in them. I only remember seeing my mom use the cloth diapers as burp rags. Just a side note: Why do they call them burp rags when baby's throw up on them. Shouldn't they be barf rags? But I digress!

Because I like to leave people hanging a bit, I'm going to start with the diapers that I am probably not going to use (notice that I said "probably"...I am a man, and I do change my mind quite often). Then I'll end with the ones that I am probably going to use (again, note that the word "probably" was used). I will give you my interpretation of the different styles of cloth diapers I have found and what I think about them. Remembering, of course, that I have no field experience with any of them (since our first child is still "in the oven") so this post will definitely be updated as time goes on. Are you ready? As Mario would say....Here we go!

First is PREFOLD DIAPERS, these are the kind that my mom used. All I have to say is they make really great barf rags and car wash rags! I am definitely staying away from this style cloth diaper, too much folding and snapping, pinning, strapping, etc for me. I need to have something a little easier than this....alright, I mean I need to have something A LOT easier than this. This is the equivalent of a base model GEO Metro.


Next, I found a style called CONTOUR DIAPERS. These appear to be the same material and as their prefold brother, but they seem to have had some plastic surgery. They are shaped like disposables, but made of cloth and have no elastic, Velcro, snaps or anything fancy. Basically they took a prefold and cut half circles out of the middle of the diaper for legs. If you chose to use this style, you'll need to get a diaper cover (plastic or vinyl) cause the mess will leak right through them. my ultimate opinion on these is they are a more expensive barf rag. This GEO Metro comes with power steering.

Now we get into some fancy upgrades, like elastic around the legs and Velcro or snap fasteners. No more pin holes in my baby! Now I'm starting to get closer to my ideal diaper. I'm talking about FITTED DIAPERS, these are the equivalent of a Chevy Cavalier, we're getting nicer and have more features but there is still one big drawback for me....you still need a diaper cover to keep the moisture from leaking through. I need just a bit more convenience than that.

The next diaper no longer requires a diaper cover, this pushes it up to a Lexus status for me. No longer are we dealing with compact cars, we've moved right up to pure luxury. ALL-IN-ONE DIAPERS is the name of this Lexus and it comes factory direct with a very thirsty inner layer and a waterproof outer layer as well as having Velcro or snaps to fasten it together and elastic around the legs for good fit. This is one of only two diaper styles that I am going to even consider. One side note, is that this Lexus has an Acura cousin we call ALL-IN-TWO and that one comes with an additional thirsty layer of fabric (like a spare tire)!

Finally, the diaper that I am leaning toward is the Rolls Royce of diapers in my opinion. This diaper has it all, and I mean everything. It has Velcro or snap fasteners, comes in specific sizes or one size fits all (Oh yeah, our options even have options now!), some one size fits all models have adjustable elastic around the legs and waist to fit all sizes, and they are designed to allow you to chose how much absorption you want by adding as many or as little inserts as you need. What, pray tell, am I talking about? Drum roll please.........Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the POCKET DIAPER!



I know it may be too soon for me to be deciding on the diaper style, in fact several comments I have received have told me that I should try a bunch of style and brands. But since I am a man, I am going to make a decision without having much to back it up except my MAN'S INTUITION (yeah, we have it too....we just don't talk about it because it's not real manly to do that). For now this is what I've decided. Please let me know your thoughts, I will consider them all!

So my final answer (for now) is I will be using POCKET DIAPERS. Yup, I'll be wrapping my future All American Athlete in all the luxury that only Rolls Royce has to offer a baby's behind.



One last thing: Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who has commented, given suggestions, or just expressed interest in what I am doing. It's pretty cool that people want to hear what I have to say so I'll keep this going as long as I can. THANK YOU!

Oh yeah, I'd also like to thank www.handmade-adelaide-baby.com for their great images!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome Dad.. U got it all down.. I have to give it to you.. ;)
    We have every type of diaper.. My hubby loves to use Prefolds with Thirsties Covers yup da hubby..lol Of course he does it the easiest way just trifolds the prefold and lays it in there no snappi and it works.. We use those through the day because we have 24 and they are less expensive.. :) We love them.. I like to use my pockets.. My fav are Smartipants because they are cute simple and the quality is excellent.. I just want to say that Im happy to see a daddy into Cloth Diapers.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan - the wife told me about your blog and I had to check it out. Since I think we too will be "clothing it" on this one, I'll send along my opinions as well. We used disposable diapers on our first two boys so I can also give some comparison notes.

    I admit I'm kind of sceptical for now (having exactly zero experience to base that on). I like the convenience of just wiping and trashing the diaper. But I'm definitely interested in this blog to see how it goes for all of us. I will also be curious if the boy/girl thing has any impact on brand/effectiveness. With two boys we've had leaks in directions you would not have thought you'd need extra absorbtion. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are also Hybrid diapers, like gDiapers, that have a reusable cover and liner but uses either disposable inserts (which are either flushable, compostable and biodegradable) or cloth inserts - basically a prefold laid inside. i haven't used this type, but i did buy a few to try them out. just a suggestion for the newborn phase where the poop (meconium) is black. :)


    and a good way to find online sales is to "like" your favorite retailers on FB and they announce sales and give out discount codes...just a heads up, but i'm sure you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't mean the WHOLE newborn phase :) just a few of the first poops. i think. my hubby did all the diaper changing with our first so i'm not quite sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We started using cloth dipes when our daughter was about 5 months old. I sure wish I had tried this sooner. It's no where NEAR as hard as I thought it was going to be.

    I think you are right on with the pocket diaper idea, we use a lot of pocket diapers here. I like prefolds and covers as well, you might think about investing in a few prefolds for burp purposes. They also make good changing pads. If you end up with a 'ninja pee-er' like ours, you will find that you need a new changing pad EVERY TIME because the baby waits till you take the old dipey off and then pees AGAIN before you can get a new one on!!

    If you have not looked into diaper detergent yet, check out Crunchy Clean. It is less expensive than some of the others and works great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across your blog link on Diaper Junction's facebook page. Congrats on the baby boy! I have a 5 and a half month old son, and we have been using cloth for about 4 months. Pockets are a great option, but just make sure you shop around and try out a few different ones to find the one you like. Also, brand-newborns are sometimes a little itsy bitsy for some of the one-size pocket diapers. Make sure you take that into consideration when you are building your stash.

    I primarily use prefolds and covers for day and pockets at night. I have a super soaker for a son and have to triple-stuff the pockets. With that said, it's always a good idea to get some extra inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your blog on Nicki's Diapers Facebook page. Loved this blog!

    I really like the bumGenius 3.0's (there are 4.0's now) and they are pocket diapers. I am most recently trying Nicki's Best Bottom Diapers. These are a one size reusable cover that has either snaps or velcro and they have snap in inserts. I like these a lot, but have been having issues with the snap covers fitting my boys just right, so I am waiting on an order that has velcro covers in it.

    Good luck with the cloth diapering! Be warned, it can become addictive and even enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noticed your blog on Diaper Junction's facebook page! It's great to see a blogging dad. But a cloth diapering-blogging dad is awesome! I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures in cloth diapering when your little one arrives.

    I would give you advice on what to use in the beginning, but I don't want to run you over with information :) I have a blog geared toward cloth diapering tips, and reviews etc, if you ever want to check it out.

    http://tideebums.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love all of the information and suggestions. I will do my best to look into it all and use what I can in my blog!

    Have an awesome day!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep! Sounds like you've got a perfect understanding of what's out there! It's so awesome to see a dad putting this much effort into diapers.
    I would go with pockets, in fact - I do. I've never understood why people still bother with prefolds or covers when there's such better technology out there, price I guess. Speaking of which, a few of my favourite brands are Thirsties, Rumparooz, Fuzzibunz and (least expensively) ComfyRumps.
    A point I didn't realize about All-in-one diapers is that they take a LONG time to dry, like DAYS... so we have a few for babysitters/grandparents, but don't use them often.
    As "bECCA" said, the baby's poop for the first few days is like terrible black sticky tar, which usually stains cloth diapers. We used disposables for this stage, but if I had known about disposable liners we would have used cloth. I'm talking about a roll of paper-based tissue, similar to a roll of toilet paper but thicker and designed to lay on top of the diaper between it and baby's bum. It catches the everything (until baby switches to watery yellow poop) so you can simply lift it off like a wanton and toss it in the garbage or toilet. Use them again once baby switches to solids.
    Also, keep in mind that material is important to consider. Cotton & flannel are much less absorbent then microfiber, and hemp is absolutely amazing. Although, pure hemp can get very stiff like cardboard so a 50/50 (or close to) hemp & cotton blend is best. Fleece (thicker isn't better) on top allows the liquids to pass through to the absorbent layers, but not back through to baby's skin (most pocket diapers are lined with a (micro)fleece or suedecloth, so you don't have to add anything). A pocket diaper stuffed with 3 layers of microfiber and 5 layers of hemp/cotton blend can last over 8 hours (overnight) without leaking. Those 8 layers sound bulky, but the hemp is very thin - actually thinner then the 3 layers of microfiber. And during the day I find 4 layers of hemp are good for up to 4 hours.
    Hope this helped, and sorry to talk on and on. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
    P.S. The next thing for you to research now is washing techniques... Have fun!

    ReplyDelete